Does the thought of having your teeth cleaned make your entire body tense with fear? Would you rather endure the agony of a toothache than step foot in a dentist’s office? You’re not alone. A lot of people are so phobic about going to the dentist that they prefer not to have any treatment.
There Are Options
If you have broken, missing, or painful teeth but find yourself avoiding the dentist because of fear and anxiety, oral conscious sedation may be right for you. From the mildly relaxing effects of a sedative agent to the deeply restful state that oral conscious sedation provides, Dr. Shelyan helps you to find a sedation level that makes you comfortable and relaxed during your dental treatment.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry creates an anxiety free environment in a dental office setting and during dental treatment. At Forever Smile Dental Care, Dr. Mehrshad Shelyan determines what level of sedation can help you. Whether you want to “take the edge off” or prefer dozing through your appointment (with little to no memory of your procedure), we have an option that is perfect for you.
When choosing a sedation method, it is good to know the levels of sedation that can be reached:
- Minimal sedation: This is the lowest level of sedation; you feel deeply relaxed but are awake and aware.
- Moderate sedation/conscious sedation: This is a deeper level of sedation that may cause you to slur your words and have delayed reaction times. You may not remember your treatment clearly.
- Deep sedation: This is the deepest level of conscious sedation; you may be on the edge of sleep or you may snooze, but you can still be awakened.
- General anesthesia (Major Surgeries In Hospital Setting) : You will sleep through your treatment; you’ll be unable to be awakened until after the procedure.
Types of Sedation
At Forever Smile Dental Care, we offer:
Nitrous Oxide Sedative Agent: This sedation option is administered through the inhalation of a sedative agent gas (a.k.a. laughing gas) and works well for those with mild anxiety. This is the most common form of sedation in dentistry. It’s easy to administer and wears off quickly, so patients are able to safely leave the office on their own.
Oral conscious sedation: This includes a medication that is taken orally or administered by the dentist under the tongue and provides a deeper level of relaxation than Nitrous Oxide. This form of sedation is appropriate for those with moderate or severe dental anxiety and can be combined with Nitrous Oxide. Most sedated patients do not have any memory of the appointment and sleep through it. Assistance returning home after treatment is required.
Who Can Perform Sedation Dentistry?
For the past decade, Dr. Mehrshad Shelyan has been licensed and accreditated by The Dental Board of California. California’s Dental Board carefully regulates the use of sedation techniques, so you can rest assured that you are in good hands.
A: Sedation dentistry is appropriate for people who can’t receive dental services because of their fear and anxiety. It is also appropriate for individuals who:
- Have a low pain threshold
- Struggle with sensitive teeth or a strong gag reflex
- Need extensive work that requires multiple treatments; sedation dentistry allows the treatments to be done in fewer visits
A: There is always a risk when being sedated; however, when administered by experienced dentists like Dr. Mehrshad Shelyan, it is extremely safe. Patients who have obstructive sleep apnea or who are obese should consult their doctor before having sedation, as they are more likely to experience complications.
A: The cost of sedation dentistry is way more affordable than IV or general anesthesia. To find out more about the cost of your specific sedation method, call to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mehrshad Shelyan. At Forever Smile Dental Care, we also offer a variety of financing and payment methods that will help you receive the level of sedation you desire on your budget.